If you are looking for an ideal table saw with a budget below $1000, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we are going to discuss what a table saw is, reviews of the best table saw under $1000 including the pros and cons of each. After that, you will find a comprehensive guide on how to choose the a table saw for your needs and budget and also some of the safety precautions you should observe when using a table saw.
Last update on 2017-08-16 PST - Details
What is a table saw?
A table saw is a woodworking machine that is used to cut long straight cuts into wood pieces. This machine comes with a fixed blade that comes through a slot in the metal table. It is the blade that makes it possible for you make desirable cuts for your construction needs.
Table saws are very versatile, and if there is one piece of woodworking tool that you must own, then it is a solid table saw. If you want to be able to enjoy the benefits of making accurate, precise and desirable cuts in wood pieces, then you need to make the best choice for this particular tool. It is a significant one-time investment, and you want to ensure you know what you are looking for before jumping to making decisions.
Types of table saws
There are mainly four categories of table saws namely;
· Portable table saws – a portable saw is basically a table saw that you could easily and conveniently carry around. If you are a craftsman that spends most your time on site, then a portable saw can be an ideal investment on your part.
Ideally, a portable saw does not take much of your storage space. These types of saws are also versatile as you can carry them to site and from the site without much effort. Some portable saws come with adjustable legs and wheels, which make them easy to transport.
· Contractor table saws – this type of saws are excellent choices for experienced woodworkers. Contractor table saws can also be easily transported from site to site as they feature an open base and weigh a considerable 250 to 350 lbs.
Most contractor table saws today feature premium fence systemsthat allow them to complete even the most sophisticated woodworking projects efficiently.
· Cabinet table saws – cabinet table saws feature an enclosed cabinet-like base platform, and they, therefore, tend to match the capability and durability of the pro woodworker. Additionally, cabinet table saws are more robust compared to the other table saws mentioned above. These type of saws also feature greater trunnions, arbor assemblies and gearing plus they feature much more cast iron and steel all which make the cabinet table saws perfect for sawing through thick loads of timber all day long
· Hybrid saws – hybrid table saws tend to provide the combination of quality and affordability. Often, hybrid table saws usually get described as products offering the control and power of the higher end table saws but at a much lower price. They feature a smaller size than the contractor style tables, therefore, are easy to transport to sites.
Choosing The Table Saw Explained
Shopping for tools is among the most significant investments a woodworker can make. But when it comes to choosing an ideal table saw, it can be hard for one to know which direction to follow. Not to worry, as below are some excellent ideas to help you choose the best possible table saw for your woodworking needs.
Features and technical specifications
The best way to choosing an ideal table saw is to be informed on the necessary components of these tools and their various specifications. The motor, trunnions, gearing and arbor assembly make up the essential components of the table saw. The quality, sturdiness, and robustness of these elements varies extensively and can also significantly affect the functionality, and durability of the machine.
For this reason, it is imperative that you don’t just be knowledgeable on these components and features, but also be specific on want you as far these aspects are concerned.
Type of table saw
To be able to choose an ideal saw for you, you need to be specific with your options. In this case, what type of table saw are you looking to buy since there are 4 different types of these tools available? Determine whether you want a contractor, hybrid, portable or a cabinet style table saw. Compare the pros and cons of each and what each has to offer.
Remember that each saw is slightly different to accommodate the specific needs of an individual woodworker. You must find what you need out of the table saw before determining what type of saw id deal for you.
Your requirements and needs
When choosing possible table saw, you should consider your needs both current and future needs. Also, consider the length of time that you intend to use the table saw for. If for instance, you plan to upgrade your saw soon, then you can buy a basic tool that meets your current needs. However, if you intend to use the table saw for a longer duration, then you might want to go for a table saw that meets your current needs and all needs that may arise in future.
Before settling on an ideal table saw, consider its ease of maintenance. Some table saws can prove to be very challenging when it comes to maintenance. This may force you to pay a maintenance service provider to do this for you. To avoid situations like that, be mindful of the ease of maintenance. This, however, will depend on the cost versus benefits factor.
You may choose to incur as many costs as far as maintenance is concerned provided you are satisfied with the benefits you enjoy.
Another important thing to be mindful of when choosing an ideal table saw is the ease of assembly. If you are a first-time buyer, then you will want to buy a tool that you can set up easily and quickly. Consider a saw with easy to follow set-up instructions so that you can set it up quickly and get to work as soon as possible.
There are obviously various brands of table saws in the market today. It can, therefore, get challenging to settle on a brand that will provide you with the needed functionality and durability. The best way to choose a table saw is to consider brands with a proven track record of producing good quality saws.
Also, brand quality is an important aspect regarding accessories. Getting accessories for a popular brand is much easier than a brand which is just starting unpopular.
The price factor is a significant aspect that you should always consider when choosing a product. You obviously have a budget so look for products that are within your budget, make cross comparisons based on the price factor versus benefits and decide if the table saw is worth the buy.
In this case, you should look for table saws under $1000.
Use online reviews and ratings
Products reviews online are a good way to determine if a product is worth the buy. Compare the various reviews, the features, pros and cons before you finally settle on whether to purchase or not to purchase a particular table saw.
Previous customer reviews and ratings can also help you to choose an ideal table saw for you. From the comments, you can identify some of the real pros and cons of having that particular table saw. However, be mindful not to use experiences of other users to solely guide you on choosing the ideal table saw for you.
Top 5 Table Saw Under $1000 Reviews
For a table saw, its qualities and capabilities determine how far you can go with your woodworking projects. Here are reviews of some of the great table saws in the market as far as budget, precision, innovation and functionality is concerned.
Featuring a slow 15-amp universal monitor, the Bosch 4100 is one of the best and highly powerfultable saw for a professional woodworker. This table saw supplies significant new functionalities and enhancements that make it an advanced and high-performing portable table saw.
Some of the notable features of this unit include a gravity rise stand, a new tool-free blade guard system all that allow you to carry out your woodworking tasks without having to take the guard off. Remarkably, this Bosch table saw is among the few table saws that provide you with uncompromised safety when working. This safety is because of the smart guard system, which is made to enhance how the system works, therefore, reducing associated accidents from occurring.
What is more is the saw's blade guard, which is incredibly intuitive and features a new split-guard technology that is responsible for providing a superior line of sight and maximum user safety.
The Bosch 4100-09 Table Saw uses a robust base complete with inbuilt transporting handle grips for easy and convenient transport. Other features include a single-point bevel movement for reliable precision, t-slot miter system, along with superior dust collection system.
- This Bosch table saw features a portable and compact design that makes it easy to carry, transport to site and also easy to store
- The tool-less design and the use of patent technology in the design of this table saw makes it easy to set up and install for use
- This saw is designed for stability and longevity
- It also provides accurate cuttings across wood pieces that allow you to create products much faster
- The saw has great safety feature is which imperative for a table saw
- The blades for this tends to wobble when working
If you are always busy working on projects, then this Dewalt DW745 table saw is the ideal tool for you, it has all the power and stability you need in order to undertake heavy duty jobs. Judging from the various reviews and ratings from users, this tool seems to be working well for what is advertised for. Not only is it powerful but it is also compactly designed to fit even in small spaces. Basically, this table saw has since stood the test of time and proved to work just exactly as it is advertised.
On its features, this saw features a modular guarding system that allows you to have perfect cuts while providing you with optimum safety every time you use the saw.
The good side of this saw is that Dewalt offers a 3-year warranty for the whole component plus technical support for any problems you might be experiencing with the tool.
- The pro-modular guarding system and tool free adjustments make it easy to adjust the saw for a variety of applications
- Although it is quite heavy, at 45 pounds this table saw features a compact design which makes it easy to store and transport
- Provides for fast, smooth and accurate fence adjustments
- This particular table saw features a coated surface that reduces friction for improved smooth and quality cuts
- It has a powerful motor, sturdy and durable design to handle tough jobs
- The blades for this tends to wobble when working
- Some users have complained that mounting the blades on this saw is quite a challenge
This Dewalt 749 model is an ideal tool for everyday woodwork and is especially impressive on home improvement projects that include installation, repair, and remodeling. So if you are a lover of home improvement projects and need a table saw under $1000 with a fantastic warranty, then this Dewalt DW7491RS unit is the perfect choice for you.
Other than the being pretty affordable, this table saw has some amazing features that improve your woodworking experience. For example, it has a 15 amp motor that is, of course, powerful to handle bulk work with lots of ease. Additionally, the saw has an automatic brake system and an adjustable fence all which improve its overall function and user experience.
This Dewalt 7491RS unit features an onboard storage system that gives you easy access to the guard components and a safe storage when not in use.
- Adjustable fence provides for easy, fast, smooth and accurate adjustments
- Has a powerful motor that gives you an easy time cutting through wood.
- For its features, this table saw is affordably priced
- Excellent portable saw
- The saw needs additional maintenance immediately after purchase for top performance
- This table saw is quite heavy to carry around and to transport to working sites
This Skil tool is a powerhouse for wood flooring. It cuts through laminates and engineered wood smoothly and precisely. With this table saw, you can even change the fence to make rip cuts. Additionally, you can hook it up to your sweeper and use it right in the room from where you are installing the flooring.
It is compactly built with a solid base, rip and miter versatility and a floor-friendly design that make it an entirely ideal tool for flooring projects. So if you are actively involved in wood flooring installations or plan to do this type of projects, then the Skil flooring saw might be a worthy investment.
- Has a compact and lightweight design for easy transport, use,and storage
- Perfectly cuts through solid hardwood, laminates, and engineered wood
- Provides flexibility for different types of cuts
- The design is sturdy, durable and stable
- Only rips laminate along one side since they are not reversible
- Does not provide enough clearance for wide boards
The Jet JBTS is a compact and affordable table saw is meant mainly for jobsite use. It’s more of a contractor’s saw which means that it can be moved from jobsites with relatively little effort. This table saw is also accurate enough for onsite cabinetry.
On its features, a powerful 15-amp motor that makes it powerful enough to cut through the tough timber powers this table saw. Also, it has a riving knife and anti-kickback pawls for safety and easy-gliding wheels for convenient storage, quick setup, and excellent portability.
- The outfeed support provides for maximum protection when operating the saw
- Features an easy to set up and use design
- The machine is also portable enough
- The Jet JBTS jobsite table saw has been associated with rip fence problems
- Most customers complain about the lack of availability of accessories for this saw
- The anti-kickback pawls and blade tend to be difficult to put on
Woodworking can be a dangerous business especially when you are using tools like the table saw. It is there important that you practice safety when and when not using your table saw. Here are some of the safety precautions to be observed when using table saw;
- Avoid standing behind a table saw. This is to make sure that you don’t get accidentally hit by a flying piece of wood which can cause harm to your body especially the eyes
- Never try to rip narrow strips next to the fence. Instead, cut them off the left side of the workpiece. In this case, you should stand to the right of the blade.
- Wear goggles when cutting wood using a table saw. This is to help protect your eyes from flying pieces of wood
- Always use a push stick or similar devices. Fingers are not replaceable
- A magnetic switch is also a safety precaution that you should adopt if you are a regular table saw user. This switch will keep you protected in case of a power failure. If you have a regular switch and the power fails then come back on, you could be endangered especially if you were to be near the blade at the time. A magnetic switch will not start until you switch it on.
- Every time you embark on cutting long or wide pieces of wood, ensure that you use an adjustable horse or a strongsupportive device to rest the piece of wood so that it is not practically resting on the top of the saw. Otherwise, this excess weight might make the wood/timber to shift creating cutting and safety issues
- A table saw has a power switch for turning it on and off. And currently, many of these tools come with latches that are lockable. The importance of this is if you have kids, ensure that you keep your table saw locked when not in use.If you can also not lock, your table saw then just unplug it from a power source when it is idle to ensure safety.
- Don’t be a rush to finish cutting wood quickly. Just cut one piece of wood for safety and accuracy
- Before changing blades, making repairs, cleaning or installing accessories; ensure that the table saw is turned off or unplugged from its power source.
Based on the above details, it is evident that a table saw is a valuable tool for any woodworker and that it should be accorded with equal importance. So even as you make up your mind on what is the best possible table saw for you, remember that there is a lot more you need to consider before you land on an ideal one.
In consideration to our top picks above, the Bosch 4100-09 has proven to be the best table saw under $1000. Judging from it features, this unit is ideal for use even for the most complicated woodworking tasks. It has the power, functionality, and durability needed for making accurate, precise and safe cuts across wood pieces. The many positive reviews that this Bosch unit has attracted prove that the saw is a real value deal.