Any serious woodworker understands the importance of having a clear, smooth and appealing finish whether for DIY or commercial projects. Trust me! Everyone likes to be associated with good things, or don’t you? Varnishing finished wooden surfaces is one fundamental aspect that must be considered in carpentry.
But the tricky part usually arises when deciding on the kind of varnish to buy and apply on your structure. It is not as easy as you might think and you can as well as seasonal carpenters who will tell you that there are some very critical elements to look for in an ideal spar varnish for DIY purposes.
Last update on 2018-08-13 PST - Details
Let’s Discuss More About Spar Varnish
Several myths surround the ability and related aspects of spar varnish. Well, some could be true while others just remain as perceptions. Interestingly, a spar varnish is merely a resin in an oil base with solvents. Or simply put, it is a wood finishing varnish and at times referred to as marine varnish. It contains natural ultraviolet (UV).
Originally, spar varnish was developed for the purpose of coating spars of ships that sailed in water bodies. It should be known that components used in making this finishing element undergo various chemical processes to ensure that the best results are obtained given the role this product plays wherever it is applied. Tampering with any step of this process highly compromises the quality of varnish, and I am sure your guess is good as mine on possible repercussions of using a poor quality spar varnish.
Currently, the market produces a good number of spar varnish since this term has clumsily become a generalized word for outdoor varnish. It should, however, be known that the modern varnish is made using an integrated chemical process, which does not necessarily have an adverse effect on wooden surfaces it is appliedon.
In the recent past, buying an original spar varnish in the market has been an uphill task. Several manufacturers have flooded the market with their products, everyone, trying to get a share of the market. This has caused lots of confusion especially among beginners in the woodworking industry as well as those seeking these products for the first time. It should also be understood that it does not necessarily imply that because spar varnish was originally designed for sailing components, it cannot be used on other wooden structures. That is a big fallacy!
In as much as it cannot entirely be blamed on the unawareness of a potential buyer, it is of essence for one to get relevant information about this product to make an informed buying decision based on what they know rather than guesstimating. This article is of utmost importance since it informs you on various types of spar varnish to consider buying. It also enlightens you on particular elements that you need to look into when shopping for an ideal spar varnish that would be utterly suitable for your needs.
Things To Look Into In a Suitable Spar Varnish
When looking for the best varnish for your needs, it is important never to allow rogue dealers to confuse and lead you into buying something substandard that would otherwise cause more harm than good on your wooden structure. Here are some elements to consider;
You know the role of a varnish is protecting wooden surfaces from various aspects that could cause harm to it. Weather, temperature, cracking and humidity are some of the things that an ideal spar varnish should be resistant to. If your preferred varnish cannot be able to withstand the harsh conditions that it could be subjected to from time to time, then it is not worth spending your money on. It does not matter the quantity that you apply on your wooden surface, but as long as it shows any signs of porousness, then it is not an excellent choice at all.
Perhaps you are wondering how to determine a non-resistant spar varnish. It may not be as easy as such because most dealers will never tell you any drawback of their products.
An ideal spar varnish should be able to last for a relatively long time before it starts exhibiting any signs of wearing out. What this means is that its quality should not be debatable because it needs to give you a lasting solution to the possible problems that you may encounter.
It should also be realized that many at times the resilience of a spar varnish may also depend on some factors, but ultimately, an ideal one should be able to hold on for quite a considerable time before thinking of re-applying. If you go for a quality spar varnish that has undergone all the due chemical processes, then you should be confident of getting desirable results regarding sturdiness.
This is usually a sensitive factor that most of the buyers always consider when shopping for an ideal spar varnish. The cost in many occasions depends on the manufacturer, who determines at what price they sell their products at. More importantly, as a buyer, you need to look into your budget when looking for these products. It makes it easy to obtain an ideal one based on the budget that you are working on. For that purpose, always make sure that what you are buying compliments the cost to prevent cases of getting an unfair deal.
Top 5 Spar Varnish On The Market
If there is a choice for an inexperienced woodworker to make when it comes to spar varnish, Rust-Oleum should be the ultimate one. Anyone who has used this particular varnish will honestly tell you how effective it is in addition to the fact that it is durable. One thing that makes it outstanding is its ability to add a warm golden spark to a wooden surface. The essence of this is that it typically improves the natural beauty of the wood thus giving it a touch of class.
It is suitable for both first-time applications as well as subsequent varnishing on the same surface. Its resistance ability is beyond reproach thus the reason why it is preferred to be used for exterior parts of the wooden surface especially above the water line.
- It weighs 2.1 pounds.
- Gives elegant design and beautiful finish
- It is UV resistant.
- Exceedingly durable.
- Compatible with prevailing weather condition.
- Resistant to salt and mildew.
- It has an astonishing compatibility with the current weather conditions in the sense that it can expand or contract depending on how the weather changes.
- It is exceptionally durable almost more than twice compared to another ordinary varnish in the market. It guarantees you best results in solving your needs.
- The fact that it can expand and contract according to the prevailing weather pattern shows that it is highly effective.
- It’s resistance to salt and mildew gives certainty of preventing the wood surface from fading.
- It takes comparatively long to dry
With the price it goes for and the quality it exhibits, I recommend it as a suitable acquisition.
This item is one of the best rated spar varnish in the market currently majorly because it contains preventive elements that are suitable for protecting surfaces from weathering aspects like salty water and UV rays. Ordinarily, this product is ideal for exterior surfaces such as boats, windows, doors, and other outdoor furniture among others. It offers great flexibility in regards to the types of woods that it can be used on. Moreover, it also has the ability to resist the possible cracking and also adapts well with oily woods such as teak.
It has a standard viscosity that allows it to flow freely thus enhancing the ease of brushing it on the surfaces.
- Resistant to weather.
- Ideal for outdoor use.
- Offers maximum protection from direct UV rays.
- Provides great results on boats
- Its ability to resist harsh weather conditions is a plus because it shows that the wood surface will uphold its shape irrespective of the weather pattern.
- It offers best results on most of the outdoor wood surfaces thus assuring you of having durable wood constructions even when you are not monitoring them often.
- It has the ability to protect wood surfaces from direct UV rays that would cause cracking effects on the wood and subsequently compromising the quality of the structure.
- It is suitable for boats given that it has the ability to resist water and other humid conditions from destroying the shape of the boat.
- It is incompatible with paint and stains thus cannot be added on it.
It is fairly expensive for an ordinary DIY task but if you are really looking for great quality then this can be your best bet.
If you are looking for a UV protection spar varnish then is it. Total Boat Gleam is the ideal product to consider choosing. It is manufactured using UV resistant materials that gives it ideal lasting beauty. Its finishes, both for interior and exterior do not fade easily irrespective of the weather condition. The varnish gives your wood a shining finish and can be applied on both old and new wood surfaces.
- A blend of UV inhibitors, phenol ice resins, and Tung oil.
- Resistant to moisture.
- Comes in different sizes.
- Ideal for boats and other outdoor furniture
- The mixture of the three components allows it to be durable and at the same time reveal the shininess on the wood surface.
- Its ability to resist moisture places it as an ideal varnish for coating exterior wooden surfaces that are exposed to water or leakage.
- It gets easy when it comes to selecting the right quantity that suits your needs since it is available in different sizes.
- It is fairly expensive
The quality, class and glossiness that this varnish exhibits makes it an ideal choice. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality spar varnish for UV protection.
McCloskey is a reputable brand in producing quality spar varnish for multiple uses. The introduction of McCloskey 7555 Man O'War was a clear indication that good things were in the offing as far as varnishing is concerned. It is arguably the best varnish for interior and exterior wood surfaces and at the same time enhancing the beauty of your surfaces for as many years as possible.
- Maximum UV protection.
- Water resistant.
- Superior robustness.
- Prevents weather damage.
- Resistant to cracks and peelings
- Its ability to resist water makes it suitable for exterior wood surfaces exposed to moisture.
- Its durability and resistance to cracks and peelings make it ideal for using even in harsh weather conditions.
- It is arguably affordable and worth the price.
- It takes long before it fully dries up
For the price and effectiveness, I highly recommend it especially for DIYers working on a relatively tight budget but still want to get a suitable spar varnish for outdoor furniture.
This spar varnish combines the classic varnish craftsmanship with modern technology. It is made from UV inhibitors that are helpful in preventing damage from direct rays thus guaranteeing extended durability.
It is also resistant to water and silky applications. It flows smoothly thus easy to apply on wood surfaces. It can also be used for both internal and external varnishing of surfaces thus giving the user the needed flexibility and choice to varnish their preferred finished wood structure whether new or old.
- UV resistant.
- Has a remarkable durability.
- Resistant to water.
- High gloss that generates immaculate finish.
- Suitable for areas above water line.
- Its ability to resist UV rays shows that it can protect the wood surfaces from damage thus giving it prolonged life.
- It generates perfect glossy finish given that it contains contents that enhance the shininess thus giving you an appealing finish.
- Its ability to be resistant to water certainly makes it ideal for both exterior and interior varnishing given that it will prevent water from causing damage to the wood surface.
- It takes comparatively long to dry.
It is relatively new in the market but the response it has received so far has been overwhelming. The formula contains a combination of classic craftsmanship and modern technology which gives it an edge in the market as a top quality grade spar varnish.
It is my belief that this article has given you some insights on what it takes to purchase the best spar varnish. It is pretty clear that you have to consider some important aspects to enable you make informed purchasing decision.
Of importance is to understand that you can only attain the best out these products only if you get the top quality ones. This is in view of the fact that there are several substandard qualities in the market and an ideal way of staying away from this situation is making your order from reliable dealers with great repute.