Furniture plays very important role in decorating your home. This is all about how you use the furniture for your different rooms. The table is one of the most used pieces of the furniture and can be used for a variety of purposes. It can be used while studying, dining, or keeping some stuff on it, etc.
Many people find it difficult and costly to buy a new table, and they prefer to make it on their own. Is it possible to turn a flat piece of wood into a table at home? Yes, this is almost possible. It is quite easy to turn any piece of wood into a table by installing pre-made table legs.
There is a wide range of table legs available in the market. You can get table legs made up of various materials such as different metals, wood, etc. There are many designs of table legs available nowadays. You can install them at your home. You just need to learn how to attach table legs perfectly. This is a very simple process, and you can use the tips mentioned in this guide to help you install table legs easily.
There are various methods to attach table legs in a perfect way. However, the method of using “Table leg Surface Plates” is widely used. It is much simpler and affordable than the other method called “T-Nut method.”
Attach Table Legs with Surface Plates
This is one of the methods that can be used to attach table legs perfectly at home. You can use any old table top which is in good condition and attach table legs to it easily using this method. In this way, you will save some money and will prevent wastage of the table top. Let us start looking at the steps involved in this method:
1. Search for Suitable Table Legs
You should do a bit of market research to get the most suitable table legs for you. The table legs are available in various shapes and designs. You can also look for the material they are made up of. Mostly people prefer wooden table legs.
Look for the texture and color that best matches with the table top you have chosen. The length of table legs is also an important factor b be considered while buying table legs.
2. Table Legs having Hanger Bolts already Installed
One more thing you should keep in mind while buying table legs. That is, you should prefer the table legs which have hanger bolts already installed in them. It will be advantageous for you in two ways:
- You will not have to move around to buy hanger bolt of appropriate size.
- You will not have to bore a hole into table legs to fit the hanger bolt.
This way you can lot of your effort and time by going for table legs which have pre-installed hanger bolts.
3. Table Leg Plates
Table leg plates are helpful in making the joint of table leg and table top, much firm and stable. There are few things that you should consider while purchasing table leg plates:
- The size or diameter of the hole in table leg plate is appropriate for the hanger bolt in table leg.
- The table leg plate should be made of strong and non-corrosive metal.
Table leg plates are available for both straight and slanted table legs. But if it is your first installation, you should prefer straight table legs.
4. Install hanger bolts in table legs
If you do not get the table legs which have pre-installed hanger bolts, then you will have to perform this step. In this step, you need to screw in the hanger bolts that you bought separately. You need to follow the steps as mentioned below:
- You need to drill a hole in the center of the top surface of table leg (The surface which will be attached to the table top).
- The hole should be as per the size or diameter of hanger bolts.
- Insert (screw-in) the hanger bolt in that hole, using a pair of locking pliers.
- You should insert the hanger bolts till you find them adequately firm.
5. Inspect the Table Top
You should keep the table top upside down and place it on a flat surface (may be on floor or counter-top). You should examine the side of table top where you will be fixing the table leg plates.
The surface should be plain and strong. It should not have cracks at the corners. The table legs are mostly fixed in the corners (or somewhere near the corners) of the table top.
6. Fix the Table Leg Plates on the Corners of the Table Top
On the rear side of the table, you have to fix the table leg plates. All the table leg plates should be equidistant from the corner. So before fixing them, you should mark their positions with a pencil or marker.
Fix the table leg plates using the screws. There are four holes in the corners of the square table leg plate. These holes at the corners are meant to be used to fix the table leg plate to the surface of the table top. The hole in the center of table leg plate is meant for hanger bolt. You should get the screws that are compatible with the holes in table leg plates.
7. Fix the Table Legs through the Hanger Bolts and Table Leg Plates
Pick up the table leg, which has the hanger bolt installed in it. Press and screw-in the hanger bolt in the center of table leg plate. You need to press it hard and twist it by grabbing the table leg. Therefore, in the previous step, we told you to fix this hanger bolt hard into the table leg. It will be helpful in this step.
You need to do this with all the table legs. Once all the legs are fixed, turn the table and keep it on the flat surface. Check the table to ensure that it is levelled. If not, then set the level by adjusting the table legs a bit.
That is it. You are done. The table is now ready to be used. This method is simple and quick. However, you still need to be careful at few places while following this method. There are few tasks that demand extra care to be taken to avoid getting hurt. Below are few things that should be followed to avoid any injuries and to ensure perfection while attaching table legs:
- 1. Test the quality of material that is used in table legs and surface plates. If you are going for wooden table legs, then make sure that it is a superior quality wood. The wooden table leg should be properly polished and should be resistant to termites and water.
- 2. You should be careful while drilling holes into table leg or table surface. You should use a drilling machine which is good working condition and is safe. If you are using it for the first time, you should practice on a thin wooden plank to get used to it.
- 3. Take proper care of alignment while fixing table legs.
It is not a difficult task to attach the table legs to a table top. You need to get the table legs, which are ready to install. You can choose table legs that suit your requirements. There is a wide range of table legs available.
Table legs of various designs and materials are easily available. You can also get hanger bolts pre-installed in table legs. You can attach table legs by yourself following the steps mentioned above. All you need is a drilling machine, few screws and a set of locking pliers. You need to be careful while drilling the holes. It is that simple.