The Flexibility weather resistant Property of Spar Urethane makes it one of the best varnishes that you can consider especially when you are dealing with the outdoor woodwork projects. This varnish cannot only repel water, but also it can repel salt sprays and even chemicals thus making it one of the perfect choice that you can consider especially when you are dealing with the outdoor woodwork projects. When you are applying the Spar Urethane on your woodwork project, you first need to ensure that you are doing it using the high-quality brush so as to get rid of brush marks that you might be experiencing. Here are the basic tips and steps that you need to consider when you are applying the Spar Urethane.
Step One; Surface Preparation.
This is one of the critical; stages where you need to following the following tips and stages;
- Ensure that the surface to be applied the Spar Urethane is free from dust, dirt, and grease.
- Also, surface preparation also entails you sanding the surface so as to allow the Spar Urethane to adhere better to the surface.
- You will then vacuum it and wipe the surface using a lint free cloth or even a sponge.
- You will then apply a coat of sealer before you apply the Spar Urethane. Avoiding that steps will force you to use an extra layer or coat of Spar Urethane.
Step Two; Preparation of the Mixture.
You will have to prepare the Spar Urethane Solutions, and this is a stage where we do factor more on the power of dilution. To prevent bubbles or brush strokes when you are applying the Spar Urethane, you need to ensure that you do use a thin mixture of the Spar Urethane. This also improves the fineness of finish. You will also be required to keep in mind that you have got a high-quality brush so as to get the technique right. For you to make the Spar Urethane Thin, you will add some minerals spirits to it. Using a thin Spar Ethane ensures that its very easy for you to apply the spar urethane. It's also vital when you want to prevent some brush marks during the finishing of your product.
Despite the fact that using a thin spar Urethane has got several advantages it also has got its disadvantages. There is only a single disadvantage of using a thin Spar Urethane, and that is you will have to use several coats so as to achieve that desired uniform thickness. Despite that, you will get a smooth finish that has got no brush strokes.
Step Three; Select the Application Method or the Application Process.
There are two application methods that you can use when you are applying the Spar Urethane. We have got the Brush Method and the Wiping Method.
1. The Wiping Method.
Its regarded as the easiest and friendly for the beginners who are dealing with the wood work projects. Here are the steps for you to consider when you are using this technique.
- Prepare a thin varnish of Spar Urethane by the addition of about 50% mineral spirits.
- Acquire a clean cotton rag and fold it into a nice square applicator pad.
- You will wet the applicator using a thinner and dip it into the diluted finish.
- You will then wipe on smooth, thin coats, overlapping the previous strokes with each pass by about half.
When you want to acquire a smooth finish that has got no bubbles and no brush strokes, then this is the technique for you to consider. It's quite tiring though since you will have to apply as many coats so as to achieve that desired film thickness. The dry time is significantly reduced because you are applying less material to the surface.
2. The Brush Technique.
It's considered to be a perfect method when you are dealing with an extensive surface. You will have to select high-quality brushes that have got a perfect synthetic fiber which will allow you to have a smooth finish in your woodwork. Rollover brushes can be used when you are dealing with a large extensive surface. It's one of the fastest technique that you can use when you are applying the Spar Urethane on any surface.
Step 4 The Final Stage.
This is where you will have to allow for the design that you have created to dry. You need to vacuum it especially if you have used an oil based Spar Urethane. Also, you have to ensure that the place you are storing it is very dry and free from dirt and dust. A ventless room is usually highly recommended when you are dealing with the storage of your design. The Spar Urethane is rated as one of the best and highly recommended techniques especially when you are dealing with outdoor designs.
Recommended Read: Can You Use Spar Urethane Over Paint
When you are dealing with an outdoor woodwork project, then the use of the Spar Urethane is one of the finishing techniques that you can't keep away from. The Spar Urethane is one of the techniques that are usually preferred because of the properties that this product does have. These Properties include
- High Resistance to Chemicals
- High Resistance to water.
- Ability to sustain harsh weather conditions.
There are various tips that you ought to keep in mind especially when you are applying the Spar Urethane. These tips include;
- Ensuring that the Spar Urethane you are applying is thin so as to prevent air bubbles and acquire a smooth surface finish.
- Keep in mind that the storage is given a high level of concern. You need to store this in a ventless room that is free from air or dust.
Surface finishing is one of the critical areas that you should be given high levels of concern. It plays a critical role by acting as a source of motivation especially when it's your fist DIY Woodwork project. It’s the one that determines the quality of your work that is why you should give it a major concern.