The delight of every handyman is always to get tools and equipment that will make his work easy while working on a particular project.
Having a coping saw in your workshop is of great benefit because you are confident of obtaining precise and accurately cut wood surfaces when working on different types of projects. The most fundamental thing however, is to always ensure that you have an ideal coping saw that sufficiently meet your needs.
For starters, determining the best affordable and quality coping saw may seem to be a difficult task since there are numerous brands of this tool in the market. But once you finish reading this article, you find that everything has been simplified and that the process is not that complicated.
|Olson Saw SF63510 Coping Saw Frame Delude Coping Frame/End Screw||$13.52||Buy on Amazon|
|Stanley 15-106A Coping Saw||$5.99||Buy on Amazon|
|BAHCO 301 6 1/2 Inch Coping Saw||$17.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Robert Larson 540-2000 Coping Saw||$18.92||Buy on Amazon|
|Stanley 15-104 Fatmax Coping Saw||$10.52||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2017-10-20 PST - Details
If you are a novice in carpentry or any woodwork related job, you ought to have heard about a coping saw. This is a tool that is used for cutting complex shapes and designs on materials such as wood moldings. One aspect that makes this type of saw outstanding is its precision in cutting, creating shapes and patterns, and more specifically for joint-cutting.
This saw is also formed of a relatively lean but sturdy steel blade which is tightened onto wooden handles, depending on the manufacturer.
A coping saw is not any ordinary type of saw to have in your workshop. It is a special kind that is used for specific purpose of finding the right pattern and shapes for wooden constructions. In other words, this saw is regarded as a vital tool in enhancing the aesthetic appeal of wooden structures and constructions.
The purpose of this article is to provide you with valuable insights that would make it possible for you to get it easy in selecting coping saw that will be able to suit and meet your needs as a woodworker. It provides reviews of some of the highly regarded coping saws that you can consider choosing to use at home for a number of DIY projects at home.
How to Choose The Correct Coping Saw
Choosing the right coping saw that meets your needs can be a big challenge. This is attributed to the various options in the market that make it difficult for users (first time users in particular) to choose an ideal one. Some of the few things to always factor in when shopping for this type of saw include the following;
The task that this particular saw is meant to perform call for moderately slimmer blades. It thus means that when shopping for one, you need to ensure that the size of the blade is thin because it is only the thin blade that will be able to penetrate easily without breaking while creating the patterns and shapes on the wood moldings.
Bigger blades are not recommended for this type of saw because they tend to be rigid and thus break easily when used. It is therefore advisable that you go for a slimmer blade when shopping for this saw.
This is also another fundamental factor that you should never overlook when looking for the right coping saw. Depending on the manufacturer, these tools come made with different type of materials, especially the blades. Some are made of steel whereas other are made of carbide among other materials.
The choice will also be based on your budget since different materials also go for various rates but ultimately, you should go for a material that you are confident will serve you appropriately and solve your needs when using this saw.
Structure and design are also an essential element to consider when shopping for the coping blade. In as much as the principal purpose of this tool is to create shapes and patterns on woods, it is important that you go for one that is aesthetically designed. The aesthetic appeal is also important when using this equipment because it gives you the fulfillment that you are using a very appealing tool.
Blade’s Tooth Count
The number of teeth that the blade fitted in your preferred coping saw is also an important consideration when buying this tool. Of essence, the quality of the finish that you will eventually have depends on the tooth count and alignment of the blade fixed on the coping saw.
It is, therefore, crucial to ensure that you understand the particular type of cut that you need to obtain from your wood molding to help you in establishing the ideal tooth count for you saw’s blade.
Price is a primary factor that determines all other factors regarding a good quality saw. This is to mean that price dictates whether or not you will be able to acquire the particular coping saw with the best features that you need.
Nevertheless, balancing your budget with the available price tag is an important consideration in this scenario. Brand, material, design and the retailer are what majorly dictate the varying prices of these saws in the market.
It is thus recommended to ensure that you shop diligently in different stores to make it possible for you to get the best deal that would also allow you to save on other unnecessary costs.
It is always fundamental to regularly check on the various tools that you use in your home. The essence of it is to ensure that they remain in the right shape and can also carry out the task without failing. Some of the tips that you can use to appropriately handle this saw are;
Protecting yourself against breakage of the blade
More often, the blades will break from time to time because they are slim in size. It is therefore recommended that you put on the protective gears such as gloves and goggles. This will help you from getting cuts in any event that the blade breaks.
It is also advisable not to place your head close to the saw when checking the precision of the cut.
To avoid frequent blade breakage, it is recommendable that you do not over tighten the blade because when the blade is too tight the possibility of it breaking is very high.
Determine the materials that you cut
It is also important to understand that coping saws are mostly meant for cutting objects that are relatively light. Therefore, you need to note that heavy materials can damage the coping saw and render it useless. Hence, it ideal for you to always factor in the type of object that you cut using the coping saw.
Before you start working on any wood molding, always ensure that the bladeis appropriately installed. There are several ways of securing the blades depending on the type of brand that you are using. All you need to do is to make sure that you adjust the blade pins on the frame accordingly but do not over tighten or make the blade loose.
Do not place excessive pressure on the coping saw
This is an important aspect not only to the coping saw but all other types of saws too. It is fundamental to ensure that you regulate the amount of pressure that you apply on the coping saw when cutting. The essence of this is that it will determine the accuracy and fineness of your cutting.
Too much pressure when cutting can compromise the quality of your work as well as lead to breakage of the blade, which in turn can lead to accidents and injuries.
Carry out frequent maintenance
The coping saws are fitted with slim blades that are more likely to break in the long run especially when used consistently. There are also cases where the blades become rusty. It, therefore, calls for you to have extra blades for replacement just in case one break, become rusty or become blunt in the long run after constant usage.
However, the most significant thing to understand is that regular maintenance of the coping saws extends their durability, improves efficiency during work and also protects you as the user from getting injuries when working using this tool.
Top 5 Best Coping Saws You Should Consider
This section consists of 5 coping saws chosen based on features, functionality and, prices that are best preferred by most customers. This reviews should help you in choosing the best of this saw that you need in your workshop.
The Olson SF63510 Saw is regarded as one of the top coping saws on the market. It is considered as one of the best for various woodcraft tasks. It has tensions that are useful in providing clean cuts relatively fast. Additionally, its blade’s ability to adjust the direction helps it to suitably produce curves, shapes as well as various decorations when working on the wood structures.
It is also considered as a professional-grade coping saw that is very durable and uses the thumb screw and the handle in putting tension on the ordinary pin end blades.
Features and benefits
- The ability of blades to turn to 360 degrees- this is important because it shows that you will have an easy time in and unmatched convenience for sawing in different directions.
- Hardwood handle gives it the necessary durability to endure even the harshest condition without wearing out or breaking easily.
- It has standard end pin end blades that are covered on either end of the sturdy frame to prevent it from breaking as well as enhancing its efficiency when working on the wood. This is also helpful when cutting detailed, intricate and a symmetrical decoration on the wood since it provides stability and total control to the user.
- It is very light in weight weighing about 9.6 ounces. This is significant because it makes it easy for the user to use it for longer duration without getting tired of using it.
- It does not hold as much tension on the blade.
In general terms, the Olson SF63510 Coping Saw is a reliable, hard-wearing tool ideal for woodworking as well as other cutting jobs that would need precise and elegant cuts. Other than the blade tension issue, this tool is worth its price.
This is the other highly ranked coping saw that you can choose to select for your wood cutting tasks. It is sleekly designed which makes it appealing to the eye and the performance when using it in cutting the woods is also impeccable. It is light in weight which gives it a plus as a cutting tool and easy to use.
Features and benefits
- Ergonomically designed handle: this is helpful in providing the essential comfort to the user while using it when cutting the wood. The importance of this is that it does not hurt the user during its usage thus making it possible in attaining the desirable results.
- The blade is made of carbon steel: this helps in enhancing its durability because it takes time before wearing out or breaking. The other benefit of the hardened blades is that it helps in providing somewhat clean and controlled cutting on the wood thus giving you the best results.
- It is carded with three blades which gives it the best performance when it comes to cutting the intricate shapes and patterns on the wood.
- It is also easy to change these blades in case of replacement which apparently does not any specialized knowledge apart from loosening and tightening the blade on the saw.
- Angles cannot be adjusted on this particular model.
For any ardent carpenter or handy man interested in acquiring a cheap but effective coping saw, this should be your ultimate choice. It provides the best cutting of intricate curves and patterns on the wood surface but the cost of obtaining it is rather low. It is therefore a suitable addition on your home workshop especially if you like doing a few DIY carpentry tasks within your compound.
Are you the type of carpenter who is always conscious of the performance you get and time you spend working on a particular project? If your answer is yes then this particular tool is the best deal for you. The Bahco 301 coping saw provides both quality finished cutting and high performance within the shortest time possible. This is due to the fact that it has blades made of hardened and tempered carbon steel.
Features and benefits
- It is made of a Nickel plated steel frame: which makes it durable and resistant to stain that would compromise its longevity. In addition, the design also makes it easy for the user to obtain comfort thus enhancing performance.
- The orange lacquered wooden beech handle is ergonomically designed providing the essential comfort during cutting thus improving the finishing and yielding wishful results.
- The interchangeable blades are fitted on retaining pins that makes it easy for you to change the blades without difficulty in case you need to replace the blades after wearing out or becoming blunt.
- It is 61/2 inches long with 14 teeth per inch making it ideal for efficient cutting even the intricate shapes and patterns on the wood.
- It at times fails to hold sufficient tension on the blade.
The design and the material of this particular coping saw is what gives it an edge over others. With this tool you are guaranteed of longevity so long as you maintain it the right way it’s needed. From our point of view, it is an ideal addition that you should have in your workshop especially if you are looking for something that will not need replacement for the longest time that you can imagine. The quality of its cuttings is also right for what it’s worth thus a suitable choice to possess.
This is a well-built coping saw that provides ultimate comfort when using. It is fitted with an exceptional blade that provides sufficient and defined clean cuts. If you are looking for a great quality coping saw which is suitable for thorough creation on wood and other related items, then you will never go wrong with the Robert Larson 540-2000.
It is a German made high quality saw and can be easily tweaked to changeable angles making it easy for the user to get the best approach for finishing the task.
Features and benefits
- Tension is adjustable and tightened by turning the handle; this is helpful in ensuring that the blades are secured in the right position thus useful in providing fine and precise cuts on the wooden structures you are cutting.
- Blade is adjustable to any angle; this allows for the user to get the best approach in undertaking the task at hand since you will be able to identify the particular angle you feel is right for cutting the piece of wood.
- It accepts blades with pin; thus giving you many option when selecting the blades that you would prefer using on this particular type of saw.
- It has a lightweight frame designed to display strength and durability which gives you value for money as it gives you more than what you actually pay for.
- It can be challenging to change the blades in some instances.
With the evident relatively good rating and high rate of customer satisfaction, it is clear that the Robert Larson 540-2000 Coping Saw is an ideal tool that can help you in meeting your woodworking needs especially at home. It is therefore a recommendable tool you should consider having in your tool kit.
Stanley is a renowned brand in making some of the high end tools used in homes for improvements. This particular coping saw is made of quality material and regarded as a reliable and a handy tool ideal for getting the best finishing.
Most of the people love it for the grip of the handle which does not seem to slip when using it.
Features and benefits
- Ergonomically designed cushion grip; this provides the user with the maximum comfort and firm grip needed to cut materials and is essential in attaining accurate, precise and clean finished cuts.
- Steel blades; are beneficial in providing high speed precision cuts therefore making it possible for the tasks to be completed within the shortest time helping you in saving time as well as energy.
- Exclusive blade retaining feature; allows you to efficiently use the blades at every given time thus enabling you to save on cost that you would otherwise incur on buying and replacing the blades.
- It is not effective in cutting hard materials.
For the price that this particular tool goes for, I would say that it is worth it given that it is also reliable and durable. What is important is taking the right care and maintenance of this tool and you are guaranteed of getting the best out of it.
Most of the DIY tasks done at home can only be best achieved if the tools that are used are of high quality and dependable. You can also save a considerable amount of money on buying high quality DIY tools.
Therefore, always aim at getting the best tool that you need regarding coping saws. Initially it might be costly, but in the long run, you will realize that it has saved you time, energy and money as well as enabling you to get high quality finishes for your projects.